[Twisted-Python] Pyjamas + web2py + twisted vs Django + Pinax

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Fri Dec 19 02:47:37 EST 2008

On 2008.12.19 10:44:49 +0900, Theron D. Huffman wrote:
> I'm about to start programming a game in Python. The game will be a web-based board game with a social aspect, something like http://www.chesspark.com. I want the game to run in both browsers and as a desktop client. Therefore I'm wondering what python-based technologies I need. I know that Javascript/AJAX is necessary for the browser part so I have decided on the following:
>
> 1. Pyjamas -  (for the AJAX browser stuff)
>
> 2. Pyjamas-desktop - (for the desktop client)
>
> 3. Web2py (or djanjo, or django+pinax)  - for the website on which the game will run and for database access and social part - login, chat, members, profiles, game history, etc.)
>
> 4. Twisted - for the networking and chat functionality.
>
> 5. Pygame - for most of the game stuff, sprites, inages, etc. (Actually I don't know if Pygame is necessary for a board-type game.)
>
> My understanding of the above technologies is still limited and I'm not sure if I need all of these because some functionality may be overlapped. e.g. I don't know where Pyjamas leaves off and where web2py/danjo/pinax begins.
>
> Can someone please give me some advice?

That's a fine laundry list of frameworks, but i believe getting all of
them to cooperate would be practically impossible.  (Note: a framework
is a library that's grown to the point where it thinks it owns your
whole program.  Getting multiple frameworks to play nicely together is
usually hard.  There are rare exceptions, like the beautiful integration
between Twisted and PyGTK, but they're rare.)

I know that Django and pygame and Twisted are useful, mature, documented
frameworks that actually get used in production by people other than
their authors.  I don't know about Pyjamas.

If putting 100% Python in one end and getting Ajax out the other is
really important to you, then you need Pyjamas to work.  (Or wait for
PyPy and its JavaScript backend to mature from experimental research
code to production-quality stuff.)  So my advice is to write a simple
tic-tac-toe game in Pyjamas, and find out.

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net