[Twisted-Python] spawnProcess help needed

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Wed Dec 10 11:45:24 EST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:43:00 -0500, Phil Christensen <phil at bubblehouse.org
> > wrote:
>> Everything is basically working, except for the fact that the
>> md5sum processes never go away. It does seem that processEnded is
>> being  called, since that's what issues the callback on the
>> deferred returned  by run(), but the process sticks around, as a
>> non-zombie, non-defunct  process that still appears to be using
>> small amounts of CPU time.
>
> processEnded shouldn't be called until the child has exited and been
> reaped.  This means that the md5sum process should not still exist in
> any form if processEnded is being called.  So either the processes
> you're
> seeing aren't associated with the ProcessProtocol instances you
> think, or
> there's a pretty serious bug in Twisted. :)

Well,  it looks like I was wrong, and the processes do go away,
although they take awhile. This isn't that surprising, since I'm
seeing 10-15 md5 processes happening in parallel, and they're
checksumming relatively large (~150MB) WAV files.

It ended up being all because of a dumb mistake. Thanks for the help,
though.

-phil