[Twisted-Python] wxpython and xmlrpc via twisted

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Dec 9 19:08:19 EST 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:27:00 -0800, Ian Jones <ian at ambientdivide.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to create a taskbar app (in wxpython) to monitor job
>progress on a render farm. I'd like the taskbar app to have an xmlrpc
>server built in so that other applications can inform the taskbar app
>additional jobs to monitor.
>
>I found this recipe online which is a great example of the functionality I want:
>
>http://code.activestate.com/recipes/298985/
>
>However when I run the following
>
> [snip]
>
>I'm assuming this is just a good example that is out of date. However
>I'm not sure how to update it so that it works. Can someone help me
>out?

It looks like the direct cause of the problem is that the XMLRPC subclass
in the example prevents XMLRPC.__init__ from being invoked.  It seems to
be doing this by subclassing both wx.App and XMLRPC.  There's probably
no good reason to subclass both of these, and in this case it's causing a
problem, as presumably wx.App has an __init__ which is getting in the way.

Jean-Paul