[Twisted-Python] twisted python conch SSH shell?

Bill Zeller wzeller at cs.princeton.edu
Tue Aug 12 16:40:19 EDT 2008

I've been playing around with Twisted's Conch client (which looks extremely
well done, thanks!). I've been able to connect to a conch server and also
connect to other ssh servers and execuate various commands. I'd like to be
able to connect to an arbitrary SSH server and run /bin/bash.

I'm able to execute a command like so:

class CommandChannel(channel.SSHChannel):
    def channelOpen(self, data):
            self, 'exec', common.NS(self.command),

Looking through the SSH spec (connect protocol, rfc4254), it looks like
shells are opened with this command.

      uint32    recipient channel
      string    "shell"
      boolean   want reply

It doesn't look like Conch supports these requests (here's how
CHANNEL_REQUESTs are currently sent out)

twisted/conch/ssh/connection.py (413):
        self.transport.sendPacket(MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST, struct.pack('>L',
                                  + common.NS(requestType)+chr(wantReply)
                                  + data)

I may be misunderstanding how remote shells are started, so any help would
be appreciated.

Again, I'm trying to launch an interactive /bin/bash shell from a Conch SSH
client on an arbitrary remote SSH server.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
Bill Zeller