[Twisted-Python] Source specific multicasting (SSM) example?

Rodney Lott rlott at evertz.com
Fri Apr 4 12:27:59 EDT 2008

Hi, there.

I was wondering if there is any information or examples on how to use Twisted to perform a SSM operation.  I am new to Twisted and to Python.

In C, I believe one would use the setsocketopt() to specify the joining to a multicast group (G) to a specific source (S):

	setsockopt(sock,..., IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP, (S, G, iface), ...)

I believe that Python itself has analogous socket calls and could do this using a UDP socket.

I read the Multicast UDP example on Twisted here: http://stderr.org/doc/twisted-doc/howto/udp.html#auto3

This shows how to do a normal multicast UDP situation with Twisted (i.e. a process will receive UDP traffic from ALL sources registered to the IGMP group).

So, if there were UDP three sources (e.g. A, B, and C) registered to the IGMP group, I would like to find a way for my client to only receive data from source B.

I believe that I can get information using a SDP/SAP using a simple UDP server listening on the appropriate port.  So, the only thing that I am missing is how to register to a group for a specific source.  I am not sure if the joinGroup() method will allow for this.

Thanks.

-Rodney Lott