[Twisted-Python] win32 reactors

James Mansion james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Wed Apr 2 18:24:32 EDT 2008

Cory Dodt wrote:
> Resolving a bug includes gathering requirements and building
> consensus, but building
> consensus goes much faster if there's an implementation handy to
> discuss.  Even a
> quick hack is useful as a discussion point.  A very common scenario is
> that a quick
> hack is eventually refined into a unit tested, UQDS-vetted
> implementation.  However,
> a hand-waving discussion never is.
Call me old-fashioned, but what you are describing is the difference
between design-free-hacking
followed by iteration, and actually designing something.  You know, all
that waterfall stuff. I know,
its not fashionable right now.

Seriously, though, its too late at the review-of-nearly-working-code.
There's too much
pressure to incrementally fix it, and at least one participant will have
a sense of ownership
in something that might be a country mile from the best solution.

I know its easier to design when you can meet each other and use a white
board or
just scribble on paper, but its still entirely possible to use words.

So - I disagree.  I'm quite happy to hand-wave, and to listen to my
hand-waving. If it communicates design ideas - and requirements - before
any wasteful
coding, that's good. Honest.

> Still, things get fixed when someone fixes them.  It falls on the
> person who needs them
> fixed to do so, no matter whether you're talking about software or rain gutters.
Hmm.  You sure it doesn't happen after the prioritisation meeting and we
all get our