[Twisted-Python] Who's using Gtk reactor?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Sep 16 11:25:27 EDT 2007

Greetings,

As part of the work I've been doing to fix a bug in epoll reactor's handling
of "unclean" tcp disconnection (the case which gives ConnectionLost instead
of ConnectionDone), I've noticed that gtk reactor also doesn't handle this
case correctly.  Anyone who has looked at gtkreactor.py probably knows this
(there's a big comment in _readAndWrite, so whoever wrote it in the first
place realized what they were doing).

Before I fixed epoll reactor, I added a test for this case.  Gtk reactor
won't be able to pass this test, since it doesn't provide the correct
functionality.  I'm not going to fix gtk reactor, since glib2 or gtk2
reactor is really what people should be using these days.  However, if
someone else is interested in fixing gtk reactor, the fix would be happily
accepted (the hard part is done, since the unit test is written already ;).
If no one is interested in fixing it, though, then I think this is a good
time to start thinking about deprecating gtk reactor and eventually removing
it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jean-Paul