[Twisted-Python] Two main loops

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:08:22 EST 2007

> Actually, punting to another thread or process is still going to slow
> down your rendering, but in a much less deterministic way.  The OS
> scheduler is going to be interrupting the rendering rather than the
> long-running serialization function.  Breaking down the serialization
> work into smaller chunks will allow you to better control what's going
> on.

Holy crap!  I just grew an extra brain cell!  It has tingly sensation like
selson blue.

So let me offer some empirical evidence of this phenomenon which I was not
quite understanding until reading your comment - of course, it makes
complete sense now.  I've been working on a cheesey game in my spare time
called Twisted Wars (yes, the Twisted), and just to amuse myself I decided
to run the reactor normally rather than threaded select and model the
runtime loop as a cooperative iterator - the idea being that eventually the
runtime loop could be many cooiterators, to allow for an actor-based system.

To my surprise, after changing the core runtime to a cooiterator, my frame
rate improved (albeit only about +5 - but this might be more noticeable if I
had a decent frame rate to start with).  I explained to a friend who's also
working on the game and they refused to believe me! Ha!

-Drew
--