Tell us how you're using Twisted (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Win32 IOCPReactor?)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 21 10:23:47 EDT 2007

> How about you all?

High-throughput in-house network management (now libsnmp-based, formerly
bespoke code).

Lots of little glue services e.g. tail a log using "tail -f" and a
process protocol, extract stats, answer SNMP queries for those stats via
a unix socket passthrough from the net-snmp snmpd daemon.

A couple of web servers; including one that parses a FreeRadius SQL
accounting database and issues either a PB-based, SNMP-based or Radius
packet-of-death based disconnect for kicking newly-banned users.

A couple of misc daemons; e.g. one on our mail relays that will run an
MD5 of a file in the filesystem on request from a Unix socket (in a
pyrex GIL-release thread using the OpenSSL functions) so we can block
all instances of a specific attachment by MD5 at SMTP-DATA-time.

A very clever app that a colleague wrote that uses the QUEUE target of
iptables to get TCP port 443 SYN packets from a walled garden network;
then connects to that SSL service and gets the certificate; then permits
or allows the original SYN based on a name-based wildcard of the
certificate CN.

Loads of other misc stuff mostly in this vein. It's a great.