[Twisted-Python] Flash AMF and RTMP with Twisted

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Thu May 17 16:20:26 EDT 2007

Thijs Triemstra|Collab wrote:
> So now that [various protocols] are reverse engineered, I'm wondering
>  how hard it would be to do the same with Twisted? And has anyone
> worked on this before? I'm a Flex developer and don't have much
> experience with Twisted but I hope with some help of the Red5 team
> and the Twisted community we can bring RTMP to Python. There is
> already a Python implementation for AMF, and I'm also wondering how
> this can be implemented with Twisted?

This seems like a natural fit for Twisted. Really, any TCP or UDP
protocol can be implemented pretty easily using a subclass of
twisted.internet.protocol.Protocol [1], or a class that otherwise
implements the interface twisted.internet.interfaces.IProtocol [2].

You can see a myriad of examples of protocols that have been implemented
with Twisted already, in the twisted.protocols sub-package [3]. I
suggest that you develop your AMF/RTMP implementations with the
possibility in mind of them being incorporated into that sub-package.

I'd be willing to some assistance here and there if you like, but
probably not major amounts of coding.

Best regards, Ed

[1]
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.internet.protocol.Protocol.html