[Twisted-Python] Twisted Memory Leaks & Epoll

Matthew Glubb matt at zgroupplc.com
Tue May 1 10:09:25 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your tips. I am sure that I'll get to the bottom of
it. I think I'll start with pysizer and Andrew's ref counter...

Matt

On 1 May 2007, at 14:38, Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> Matthew Glubb wrote:
> [...]
>> For the purposes of diagnosing the cause of the leak (C extension,
>> python, twisted, or my code) I have removed external library
>> dependencies and I have also swapped out reactors. The leak persists.
>
> Those are all good steps to take to isolate the problem.
>
>> Does anyone have any good tips for diagnosing leaks under twisted?
>
> Basically, the same as for any other long-lived Python program:
>
>   * try to find a minimal case that reproduces the problem, e.g. a
> simple
>     request that leaks some bytes when repeated, or even better a
> simple
>     function call, and hope the cause becomes obvious as you narrow
> it down
>   * try memory profilers like http://pysizer.8325.org/
>   * try my crude hack: http://twistedmatrix.com/users/spiv/
> countrefs.py
>   * try to reproduce without any C extensions, to determine if the
> leak is in a
>     C extension or pure python code
>
> -Andrew.

m a t t h e w   g l u b b

Z Group PLC

Tel: +44 (0) 8700 111 173
Fax: +44 (0) 8707 051 393
Txt: +44 (0) 7800 140 877
Web: <http://www.zgroupplc.com/>

This  email  and  any  files  transmitted  with it are  confidential and
addressed.  The opinions  expressed in this mail are those of the author
and do not necessarily  represent the views of the company.  If you have
received this email in error please notify <service at zgroupplc.com>