[Twisted-Python] Help -- can't install Twisted/Zope on x86_64 (RHEL5-beta)

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Mar 3 20:30:41 EST 2007

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:19:49 -0800, Margaret Lum <mlum at redhat.com> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I'm trying to install Twisted/Zope on a 64-bit RHEL5 (beta) system with the
>following packages installed:
>This is the error I get when attempting to install both TwistedCore-2.5.0:
>python setup.py install
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 20, in ?
>    from twisted import copyright
>  File "./twisted/__init__.py", line 22, in ?
>    raise ImportError("you need zope.interface installed "
>ImportError: you need zope.interface installed
>And subsequently ../zope.interface-3.3.0:
>running install
>running build
>running build_py
>running build_ext
>building '_zope_interface_coptimizations' extension
>gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
>-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-
>size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC
>-I/usr/include/python2.4 -c
>src/zope/interface/_zope_interface_coptimizations.c -o build/temp.linux-
>src/zope/interface/_zope_interface_coptimizations.c:15:20: error: Python.h:
>No such file or directory
>src/zope/interface/_zope_interface_coptimizations.c:16:26: error:
>structmember.h: No such file or directory
>Any quick tips would be appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

I'm not terribly familiar with RHEL, but it looks like the Python packager
has done the typical thing and split out the files which he/she decided are
only useful for development purposes into a separate package (often named
python-dev or some such).  If this is the case, installing that package
should give you the necessary header files to build Python extension modules.