[Twisted-Python] SSL: wrong version number

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jun 14 15:08:06 EDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:51:05 +0400, Voznesensky Vladimir <vovic at nfi.kiae.ru> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I'm trying to write a twisted client for MyProxy server.
>This grid service uses TLS.
>When using blocking calls, everything is ok.
>When trying to estabilish a twisted connection
>using reactor.connectSSL(host, port, f, contextFactory)
>with _the_same_ context in contextFactory, the error occures:
>
>[Failure instance: Traceback (failure with no frames): <class
>'OpenSSL.SSL.Error'>: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_RECORD', 'wrong version
>number')]
>
>You can do it yourself by simply connecting to myproxy.cern.ch:7512
>
>Is there anybody aware of such problem?

The server is using SSLv2.  The traceback seems to indicate the context is
set up for SSLv3.  I can't tell how you created that context object, nor am
I certain why one version of your code can establish a connection while the
other cannot, but I would check the context object and make sure it is using
either SSLv2 or SSLv23.

Jean-Paul