[Twisted-Python] C++ port of Twisted

Johann Borck johann.borck at densedata.com
Tue Jun 12 11:36:32 EDT 2007

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I love python and I find twisted fantastic, but here I have to write a
> C++ application, for performance pseudo-reasons :-(
>
> I was looking for a Twisted-like framework in C++.
> Do you know if such a library exists?
>
> ACE seems to provide powerful tools for networking, but I could not
> find something like Protocols and Deferred.
>
> Or is the twisted approach not recommended for C++?

If C++ is required, take a look at TProactor (terabit.com.au), which is
an improved implementation of the Proactor-pattern for the ACE-framework
(you need ACE and TProactor). the version of proactor that comes with
ACE is not recommended for production by ACE-people themselves
(according to the mailing list). In the tests TProactor has some code
that shows how you can get very close to what's called Protocol in
Twisted. But even the basic Proactor-framework gives you the
'ACE/TRB_ServiceHandler' class, which does basically the same as
'Protocol'. The ACE-pendant to Deferreds are called Futures in ACE.

>2007/6/12, Maarten ter Huurne wrote:
>>It's not an option to write part of the application in C++ and part in
Python?

>Not yet. Maybe in a few years...

I'd recommend to think about that a bit, if the decision is upon you ;)

Johann