[Twisted-Python] C++ port of Twisted

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Tue Jun 12 04:33:23 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:

> I love python and I find twisted fantastic, but here I have to write a
> C++ application, for performance pseudo-reasons :-(

It's not an option to write part of the application in C++ and part in Python?

> I was looking for a Twisted-like framework in C++.
> Do you know if such a library exists?

Qt is the closest thing I've seen, in the sense that it offers an asynchronous
API for networking. In the signal-slot mechanism for callbacks, you connect
two objects semi-permanently, unlike a Deferred which is used just once. If
the way you handle events is mostly static, it is not a problem.

Qt is modular since 4.0, so you could use the network part without the GUI
part. But unlike Twisted, it doesn't come with implementations for all
popular network protocols. For the client side, KIO from KDE supports many
protocols, for the server side you'd probably have to write it yourself.

Bye,
		Maarten