[Twisted-Python] Flash AMF and Twisted

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Mon Jul 2 20:41:27 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007, Cory Dodt wrote:

> -1 for suggested prefix, especially if it's "Twi" - this renders virtually
> any project name unpronounceable. ;-)

Is there really a need for a prefix?

In case of the "py" prefix, it seems packages can be divided into two
1. applications that happen to be implemented in Python
2. things Python developers can use, such as Python bindings for an existing
C/C++ library

In my opinion, category 1 is just developers who can't think of a good name.
For the end user the implementation language is mostly irrelevant, so
the "py" prefix does not really add information, it just turns a word into a
name. I know it's hard to find a good name for a project, but should they be
offered an excuse to give up trying?

For category 2, maybe a prefix is useful, for example for wrapping a library
so it uses Deferreds, or for integrating event loops. Are there many projects
like this? The only one I know of is sAsync. Projects like Nevow that are not
a layer around something existing would not really benefit from a prefix, I
think, since they would still need a name to apply the prefix to.

One possible approach for a package-for-Twisted naming convention would be to
use "-ed" as a postfix. Most base names will likely be nouns, but those can
be verbed for extra silliness. For example the IRC bot would be
named "Botted".

Having a convention like that acts as an extra incentive to a developer to
come up with an original name that does not use the conventional postfix. ;)