[Twisted-Python] Flash AMF and Twisted

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Mon Jul 2 20:41:27 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007, Cory Dodt wrote:

> -1 for suggested prefix, especially if it's "Twi" - this renders virtually
> any project name unpronounceable. ;-)

Is there really a need for a prefix?

In case of the "py" prefix, it seems packages can be divided into two
categories:
1. applications that happen to be implemented in Python
2. things Python developers can use, such as Python bindings for an existing
C/C++ library

In my opinion, category 1 is just developers who can't think of a good name.
For the end user the implementation language is mostly irrelevant, so
the "py" prefix does not really add information, it just turns a word into a
name. I know it's hard to find a good name for a project, but should they be
offered an excuse to give up trying?

For category 2, maybe a prefix is useful, for example for wrapping a library
so it uses Deferreds, or for integrating event loops. Are there many projects
like this? The only one I know of is sAsync. Projects like Nevow that are not
a layer around something existing would not really benefit from a prefix, I
think, since they would still need a name to apply the prefix to.

One possible approach for a package-for-Twisted naming convention would be to
use "-ed" as a postfix. Most base names will likely be nouns, but those can
be verbed for extra silliness. For example the IRC bot would be
named "Botted".

Having a convention like that acts as an extra incentive to a developer to
come up with an original name that does not use the conventional postfix. ;)

Bye,
		Maarten