[Twisted-Python] xml

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at mac.com
Fri Jan 26 18:45:44 EST 2007

Hi Lee,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:55:43 -0600, Lee Connell <lee.a.connell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But can you use that with your own custom tcp servers? Like a chat
> server?

If it isn't a terrible nuisance, I'd like to ask you to please refrain
 from top-posting.  It makes following a thread harder, and that means
you're less likely to get good answers to your questions.  Not ragging
on you or anything, just making a request :)

Regarding twisted.web.xmlrpc: No, you cannot use it with any arbitrary
server; that module is specific to http.  You could certainly read over
the code (it is short) to get an idea of how
to implement xmlrpc atop your own tcp server.

For certain though, the best thing to look at is twisted.words, since
that package is full of chat protocols.  The jabber stuff, in particular,
should be helpful, since jabber uses a streaming XML protocol.  I'd
seriously suggest using the jabber stuff, rather than inventing your
own protocol.

Also, take a look at twisted.words.xish.xmlstream.  From the docstring:
"The most prominent use of XML Streams is Jabber, but this module is
generically usable. See Twisted Words for Jabber specific protocol
support."  That seems to me to be closest to what you want.

Hope this helps,

L. Daniel Burr