[Twisted-Python] Foolscap-0.0.7 (aka newpb) released

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Jan 23 03:32:31 EST 2007

I've made a new release of Foolscap, 0.0.7, which fixes two irritating bugs:
in previous versions you could not connect to the same PBURL multiple times,
nor could you connect to yourself. The former would return None where it was
supposed to return a RemoteReference, the latter could cause a negotiation
timeout and failure. Both are fixed now.

There are no incompatible protocol changes in this release: 0.0.6 clients
will speak to 0.0.7 clients. There likely to be incompatible changes in the
future though: the protocol is not yet stabilized.

Foolscap is a next-generation RPC protocol for Twisted, under development as
"newpb" for the last several years. It is intended to eventually replace PB,
but it is not yet ready for production use. My hope is that Foolscap will
make it easier for python/twisted applications to use tools and concepts from
the object-capability world, in particular from E and the Web-Calculus.

Some useful URLs:
 Foolscap home page: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/FoolsCap
 Download the release: http://twistedmatrix.com/~warner/Foolscap/
 Browse the source: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/warner/Foolscap/trunk
 Read some docs: http://twistedmatrix.com/~warner/Foolscap/using-pb.html
 E: http://www.erights.org/
 Web-Calculus: http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/

Also I'll probably organize a Foolscap BOF at PyCon this year.

share and enjoy,
 -Brian