[Twisted-Python] Server authentication

Volodymyr Orlenko orlenko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:12:32 EST 2007

Hi Lee,

Yes, win32security is a part of pywin32 extensions.

According to MSDN, you may be able to get user's directory by using
win32net.NetUserGetInfo:

Calling win32net.NetUserGetInfo(None, 'test_user', 1) returns a dictionary:
{'comment': u'',
 'flags': 513,
 'home_dir': u'',
 'name': u'test_user',
 'password': None,
 'password_age': 324,
 'priv': 1,
 'script_path': u''}

In my case, home_dir is empty. This sucks, so I tried a different way:

from win32com.shell import shellcon, shell
path = shell.SHGetFolderPath(0, shellcon.CSIDL_APPDATA, 0, 0)

In this case, path is u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\<My
Username>\\Application Data'. To get other users' data directories, you
can either cheat and simply replace <My Username> with their usernames,
or go the whole way honestly: get user's access token (I guess by
impersonating him), and pass the token to the SHGetFolderPath function.

There's also a way to query Active Directory through LDAP, but it does
not help much in my case:
 >>> adsi = win32com.client.Dispatch('ADSystemInfo')
 >>> u = win32com.client.GetObject('LDAP://%s' % adsi.UserName)
 >>> print u.homeDirectory
None

I guess the NetUserGetInfo and the LDAP methods rely on info in
ActiveDirectory, which may or may not be present.

Volodymyr