[Twisted-Python] Twisted server is 5 times SLOWER on Solaris than Linux?

Jarrod Roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Wed Jan 17 18:35:10 EST 2007

On 1/17/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 1/17/07, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>
> > > It looks like a single core on a T1000 is much less powerful than a
> single
> > > core in a Dell 2850, so this might account for some of the difference.
>
> That is precisely the case.  A quote
>
> Obviously, the UltraSparc T1 will perform quite poorly on workloads
> that require single-threaded performance. For those types of
> non-multithreaded workloads, Sun will rely for the time being on its
> Opteron-powered Galaxy server line. In 2008, however, Sun plans to
> release a new design codenamed "Rock" with better single-threaded
> performance.
>
> taken from http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051114-5569.html
>
> You can find a bit more info here:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051116-5584.htm
>
> This Sun hardware is built /specifically/ for running /highly/
> multithreaded code, it has always sucked royally at single-threaded
> performance, this was very much a design decision.

There is a "backend" C module that our Twisted server front ends, and it is
highly multi-threaded.
So the T1000 is PERFECT for our application, except that now Twisted is the
bottleneck. :-(

Unfortunately we have a 11th hour constraint of a vendor library that we are
required to use, it is only available on Sparc Solaris.

So we either scrap our Twisted implementation and have to spend extra time
on another network handling layer, or run 5 times as many instances of our
server to service the same number of concurrent clients.