[Twisted-Python] client, deferred and/or reactor hung on these 2 URL's

Eric Mangold teratorn at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jan 14 11:55:32 EST 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 02:13:04 -0600, Rick Graves <gravesricharde at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I ran the same file of almost 850 URL's again today,
> and again today, in the end the program was hung on
> the same two URL's.
>
> I tried the URL's with a program like WebCat.py from
> the Twisted book, which I also call WebCat.py.  Like
> the one in the book, it uses client.getPage.  It is
> different from the one in the book as follows:
>
> 1) The Errorback in the book did not work for me, so I
> wrote a simple one, and
>
> 2) I do not need to print the text of the page on the
> screen, my WebCat.py only prints the number of bytes
> received.
>
> If you want to take a look and/or try it yourself, I
> put it here:
>
> http://www.advanced-app.com.hk/MiscJunk/WebCat.py.tar.gz
>
> Those two URL's also hang my WebCat.py.  WebCat.py
> does work with other URL's.
>
>> (Many ISPs have transparent proxies these days,
>> *grrr*).
>
> I am definitely connecting through a proxy at the ISP.
>  Around here, that is what you get.
>
>> If you can still reproduce then a traffic capture
>> could be of use.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Looks like we're getting somewhere. Like I said, those URLs don't hang for
me. So it would seem that either 1) Our clients are different (Twisted
trunk, here), and yours is broken somehow. Or 2) The traffic your client
is seeing is different than the traffic my client is seeing (Maybe due to
a proxy, or some other network device). Or maybe both.

What OS? Any personal firewalls or security software running?

To do a traffic capture you will probably want to use WireShark. You can
configure it to only capture port 80 traffic between you and the host in
question. That should keep other extraneous traffic out of your capture.
Please attach it to the ticket. Use "pcap" format, I guess.

Can you get wget, or some other HTTP client to work? If so please attach a
capture of that exchange too.

--
Eric Mangold
Twisted/Win32 Co-Maintainer