[Twisted-Python] Ticket Hall of Shame - Current Loser: Brian Warner

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Jan 12 12:28:34 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 17:51 +0100, Thomas Jacob wrote:

> Expecting twisted users that find such problems in Twisted to also
> submit functional unit test is placing the hurdle
> for bug fixes that get added to twisted quite high.

We don't require unit tests for bug or patch submission, we require
tests for changes committed to Twisted. Indeed, we occasionally write
unit tests for fixes other people have submitted. But since all changes
must have tests, submitting tests along with patches greatly enhances
the chance a fix will go in quickly.

It's worth submitting fixes even if you don't attach a test, better than
no bug report at all. But we must have tests, whether written by
submitter or Twisted developer, to actually commit a patch. Without
tests we have no way of knowing:
1. whether a bug actually exists,
2. whether the patch fixes it, or
3. whether the patch introduces new bugs.