[Twisted-Python] Ticket Hall of Shame - Current Loser: Brian Warner

therve at free.fr therve at free.fr
Fri Jan 12 11:32:57 EST 2007

Selon Thomas Jacob <jacob at internet24.de>:

> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:14 +0000, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> > Although we should all be happy for the Twisted 2.5 release, we still
> > have an unfortunate track-record as far as responsiveness to bugs.
>
> Maybe this a bit of a policy matter though.
>
> A little bit more flexibility on what patches are added might help.
>
> If somebody posts a patch to a problem that is not yet
> covered by a unit test (so that would be most patches)
> then not absolutely insisting that the patcher provides a unit test as
> well
> could speed up things considerably. If the  developer responsible for
> that module thinks the patch is plausible and possibly covers a way to
> use twisted which
> probably couldn't have worked anyway because of the reported problem,
> there
> is not all that much risk, is there? After all, the existing tests
> should bark if the patch breaks anything else.

I hope you'll see the irony here: "Let's be more flexible on unit tests. The
existing tests should be enough, no ?". The answer is obviously no, because one
of the biggest problem when you fix code like this is regression.

Furthermore, writing tests often shows real problems of an API, so are a good
step in code evaluation. If code can't be tested well, it probably means it's
not good code (that's not universally true, of course).

> BTW, the patch in ticket #1794 is already included in 2.5, it probably
> shouldn't be an active ticket anymore.

Thanks, closed. You'll notice this was corrected during the resolution of ticket
#428, which addressed problems in FTP tests :).

--
Thomas