[Twisted-Python] Ticket Hall of Shame - Current Loser: Brian Warner

Thomas Jacob jacob at internet24.de
Fri Jan 12 11:01:39 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:14 +0000, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> Although we should all be happy for the Twisted 2.5 release, we still
> have an unfortunate track-record as far as responsiveness to bugs.

Maybe this a bit of a policy matter though.

A little bit more flexibility on what patches are added might help.

If somebody posts a patch to a problem that is not yet
covered by a unit test (so that would be most patches)
then not absolutely insisting that the patcher provides a unit test as
well
could speed up things considerably. If the  developer responsible for
that module thinks the patch is plausible and possibly covers a way to
use twisted which
probably couldn't have worked anyway because of the reported problem,
there
is not all that much risk, is there? After all, the existing tests
should bark if the patch breaks anything else.

Twisted is really a very cool and effective tool, and that it can
actually be used in a stable production environment is definitely not
something I
want to miss, but maybe that is not so much due to a strict development
policy
as it is due to the skills of the core developers in spotting bogus
changes ;)

Just a thought...

Maybe I got the wrong impression on just how things are done
by the twisted team.

BTW, the patch in ticket #1794 is already included in 2.5, it probably
shouldn't be an active ticket anymore.