[Twisted-Python] twisted and gprs networks

John Aherne johna at johnaherne.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 06:41:52 EST 2007

I am looking at using PDA devices talking to a server over gprs.

I need to push data to the PDA over elapsed timeframes that might be
hours. Naturally during this timespan the device may have been dropped
from the network or acquire a different IP address.

However to push data to the PDA, I need to record the IP and port used
by the PDA for its first contact since it is stuck behind a firewall.

The socket needs to be kept open on the PDA so the server can keep
responding on the same session over a period of time.

Using straight sockets I can do this by holding the reference to the
IP/port used by the PDA. And checking every now and then that the
connection is still valid. But I am no comms expert and I need to keep
track of over 100 devices and keep reliably sending messages to them at
random intervals.

So, I thought it might be better to use some framework for the server
since I am no expert on sockets.

But looking through the docs for twisted and some of the code, I can't
see anywhere how I can get and use a reference to the port and reuse the
open session on the PDA.

Can I do this with twisted or should I look for some other way of doing
what I want.

I was thinking I could use irc with twisted but not sure if I am barking
up the wrong tree.

Thanks for any ideas of solving the problem.

John Aherne