[Twisted-Python] writing a newsletter manager in Twisted

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Thu Jan 4 05:47:24 EST 2007

Felipe Almeida Lessa ha scritto:
> On 1/2/07, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>> I would like to write a newsletter manager in Twisted, using
>> twisted.mail and twisted.names.
> Another one? What's wrong with the others?

They are written in PHP or Perl.

>> 1) The sending of mails should be queued.
>>     The sending should friendly to server and internet load
> I think you could create sort of a queue per server, and deliver it
> after N messages ou X minutes waiting. It would not be very difficult
> using DeferredQueue, I imagine.

I have read all the options available for Postfix, like sending methods,
SMTP connection caching.
Its not so simple.

>> 2) I should be notified when an email address in unreachable
>>     (after n tries)
> Well, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible.

The question is: is this possible with twisted.mail out of the box?

>> 3) I want to use a caching DNS server, where I should be able to control
>>     the TTL (not sure this is a good idea)
> I can't answer this one.
>> A much simpler solution is to just use a MTA like Postfix and a DNS
>> server like Bind, but Twisted is more portable and flexible (?).
> It would be simpler using something like Mailman
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/ .

Yes, it is possible to do something with Mailman.
However I would like to have a solution in pure Twisted, since it can be
used on Windows, too.

Regards  Manlio Perillo