[Twisted-Python] wxreactor, serialport, and Windows

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Feb 7 10:12:55 EST 2007

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:55:58 -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 07:36 -0500, Andy.Henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu wrote:
>
>> Now, I need to marry it to a wxPython GUI.  Is there any reasonable
>> way to support the twisted.internet.serialport code using wxreactor?
>
>You'll probably have to hack up a version of _threadedselect that's
>based on win32eventreactor, unfortunately, since we don't yet have a way
>to make it pluggable.

Another path would be to continue to use win32er and use wxPython in a
second thread without getting wxreactor involved at all.

A third path would be to contribute some development time to Twisted to
provide a better, supported way to deal with this use case. :)

Note that there is a _threadedselect build /slave/ set up, but no one has
yet even bothered to write the trivial reactor plugin which will make it
possible for it to run any tests.  For all the interest in wxPython, it
continues to surprise me how little effort anyone has yet been willing to
spend on making it /work/.  Itamar is essentially the only person who has
done any work on it, and as far as I know, he doesn't even use it.

Jean-Paul