[Twisted-Python] How to configure setup.py for a twistd TAP app

Chris Miles miles.chris at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 01:43:26 EST 2007

On 21/12/2007, at 1:30 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:23:44 +1100, Chris Miles
> <miles.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Jean-Paul, that worked great, with both
>> distutils.core.setup  and twisted.python.dist.setup.  When I used
>> the latter I didn't need  to regenerate the plugin cache, twistd
>> picked up the new command  immediately after install.  Is this the
>> advantage of  twisted.python.dist.setup ?
> Not quite.  twisted.python.dist is an internal module, not part of
> Twisted's
> public API.  Notice this line in its docstring:
>   API Stability: Unstable. Don't use it outside of Twisted.

Understood.  I'm happy with the solution using distutils.core.setup
and forcing a plugin cache refresh.

btw, the "Plugin Caching" section on http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/plugin.html#auto3
  has an error.  The sample code uses "getPlugin" but it should be

i.e. I needed to use (with Twisted 2.5.0):
from twisted.plugin import IPlugin, getPlugins

Chris Miles