[Twisted-Python] How to configure setup.py for a twistd TAP app

Chris Miles miles.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 02:23:44 EST 2007

On 20/12/2007, at 1:21 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:15:59 +1100, Chris Miles
> <miles.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to deploy my Twisted app as a Twisted Application Plugin
>> for  twistd as per
>> http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/tap.html
>>
>> I want to distribute my app as a tarball, so the user would untar
>> it  and run "python setup.py install".  Then they would run "twistd
>> myapp"  to start it.
>>
>> How do I configure setup.py so that twisted/plugins/myapp.py is
>> created?
>>

> Since your app depends on Twisted, the user should already have a
> directory
> named "twisted/plugins" in their install directory (probably their
> system-
> wide site-packages, but not necessary).  Twisted itself creates and
> installs
> this directory.  Your installer needs to do just two things: put
> myapp.py
> into that directory and regenerate the plugin cache.
>
> One way in which to accomplish the first thing is like this:
>
>   Pass a list like ["twisted.plugins"] for the packages keyword
> argument
>   to distutils setup()
>
>   Pass a dict like {'twisted': ['plugins/myapp.py']} for the
> package_data
>   keyword argument to distutils setup()
>
>   Include a line like "graft twisted" in your MANIFEST.in
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/plugin.html#auto3
> gives an example of how to do the second thing.

Thanks Jean-Paul, that worked great, with both distutils.core.setup
and twisted.python.dist.setup.  When I used the latter I didn't need
to regenerate the plugin cache, twistd picked up the new command
immediately after install.  Is this the advantage of
twisted.python.dist.setup ?

The technique also (mostly) worked using setuptools.setup.  twistd
picks up the new command, but spits out a UserWarning due to the
appearance of the duplicate twisted package within the egg directory.

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/zope.interface-3.3.0.1-py2.4-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/zope/
__init__.py:3: UserWarning: Module twisted was already imported from /
Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/twisted/__init__.pyc, but /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
myproject-0.0.0-py2.4.egg is being added to sys.path
   import pkg_resources
Usage: twistd [options]

I'd like to use setuptools, if possible, due to my project's
dependencies on other setuptools-managed packages, but I can live
without it if it's not fully compatible with Twisted application
plugins.

Cheers,
Chris Miles