[Twisted-Python] finer control of deferToThread ?

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Sat Dec 15 10:50:02 EST 2007

You can do priority queuing to one or more threads using AsynQueue,
http://foss.eepatents.com/AsynQueue or python-asynqueue in Debian. Use
multiple threads and queue up the compute-intensive calls with a low
priority and the other stuff with higher priorities.

However, you will need to chop up your compute-intensive stuff into
smaller pieces for this to be helpful. (That's good asynchronous
processing practice, generally.) The priority queuing is only effective
at deciding which calls to dispatch next, and each thread call is on its
own once it is dispatched from the queue. Each call uses an entire
thread for its entire duration, and will keep the queue from dispatching
anything else to that thread while it's squatting on it, no matter how
low-priority it is.

Best regards, Ed