[Twisted-Python] Specifications

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sun Aug 12 11:09:38 EDT 2007

On 02:27 am, jml at mumak.net wrote:
>I've seen a couple of specifications on the Twisted wiki referred to
>in Twisted tickets. This is great. I'm all for specs, particularly
>when they are there simply to help clarify ideas and provoke
>discussion.

>However, if we are going to have more than one spec, it'd be nice to
>have a list of them somewhere. It would also be very helpful if specs
>had some sort of status.

>Launchpad provides something like this at
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/twisted.

Frankly, I don't understand the point of specifications as such.  In my
worldview, the specification is simply a ticket's description.  The only
reason we'd need a separate "specifications" tracker as opposed to
"tickets" is that trac's support for attachments and statuses is
somewhat weak.  The only reason to use wiki pages rather than ticket
descriptions is because ticket descriptions are unversioned.  On the
other hand, I have found that the lack of discussion on wiki pages is an
equally problematic feature.

Twisted's existing list of tasks (trac tickets) is already completely
unmanageable due to the disparity between the number of people filing
tickets and the number of people triaging them.  I would definitely
prefer it if we did not start using another list of tasks (launchpad
"blueprints", launchpad tickets) until we have some way to manage what
we already have.