[Twisted-Python] Synchronization techniques

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Mon Apr 9 20:32:10 EDT 2007

Scott Knutti wrote:
> Can anyone point me to some examples of using the TaskQueue code from
> Twisted-Goodies?

As its author I've used it as follows, in no particular order:

1. In sAync, to do sequential database transactions in a single thread.
See http://foss.eepatents.com/sAsync/browser/trunk/sasync/database.py

2. In DynamicSite (which serves foss.eepatents.com and some other sites)
to run Trac stuff in a single thread. This implementation does some work
to deal with occasional freezes of the Trac WSGI application. When the
queue gets too backed up, Trac is rudely forced into finishing up and
moving on. See
http://foss.eepatents.com/DynamicSite/browser/trunk/dynamicsite/wsgi.py

3. In a GUI application (not publicly released) with PB to dispatch
various commands of different priorities to a centralized server.

4. In the asynCluster sub-package of Twisted-Goodies itself to dispatch
jobs from a server to available cluster nodes. See
http://foss.eepatents.com/Twisted-Goodies/browser/trunk/twisted_goodies/asyncluster/master/jobs.py

Naturally, I would be very interested in hearing about any other
applications that are out there or being worked on. :-)

Best regards, Ed