[Twisted-Python] Synchronization techniques

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Thu Apr 5 11:42:16 EDT 2007

Daniel Miller wrote:
> I'm sorry I wrote that...it was inflammatory and did not bring any value
> to the conversation. Please accept my apology.

That really shows some class. Thanks for saying it.

>> Another solution here would be for Twisted to have a nice convenience
>> API for dispatching tasks to a process pool.  Right now setting up a
>> process pool is conceptually easy but mechanically difficult; you have
>> to do a lot of typing and make a lot of irrelevant decisions (AMP or
>> PB or pickle?  stdio or sockets?).
> That sounds nice.

There's been a lot of interest in this, including from Glyph Lefkowitz.
The taskqueue API in my twisted-goodies package could be easily adapted
to do it, using an implementation of IWorker that works with python
interpreter processes rather than threads. (See
Note that you can queue to remote workers with the API just as it stands
now, see RemoteCallWorker and RemoteInterfaceWorker.

If anyone wants to take a shot at a process pool using a ProcessWorker,
I'll be happy to help. And if there's interest in having the result go
into Twisted proper under an MIT license, I remain open to that.

Best regards, Ed