[Twisted-Python] Twisted & Qt

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Sep 30 19:12:08 EDT 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:35:25 -0700, Ed Suominen <general at eepatents.com> wrote:

>> The best course of action, then, would be to distribute qtreactor
>> separately, since we can no longer say that Twisted is all MIT
>> licensed if we do not.  The practical ramifications of this are not
>> earth-shattering, so I think that we do not need to, e.g. release a
>> 2.4.1 which does not include qtreactor, but 2.5+ should definitely
>> not include it.
>>
>> I also asked specifically about not interfering with the PyQt/Qt
>> commercial license, and Mr. Thompson suggested wording like this:

 [...]

>I agree and think (see disclaimer below) that this is just fine. It does
>not seem to inhibit the developer's flexibility at all.

Excellent.  As both a PyQt developer and someone with more legal experience than anyone else posting I am glad to see you agree :).

>If you need someone to host qtreactor, I'd be willing to do so

I think we will still be hosting it from twistedmatrix.com, and hopefully, it will get its own buildbot there as well.  As James noted earlier, the reactor APIs are still fragile and internal, so developing it externally doesn't really make sense.  There's no particular problem with TMLabs distributing GPL'd software.  I just don't want it to be part of the Twisted tarball.