[Twisted-Python] _dumbwin32proc and PIPE_NOWAIT

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Sep 30 14:32:35 EDT 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:06:03 +0200, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>Here is the main code.
>I suspect such a thing will never be accepted into Twisted ;-):
>
> [snip]

This looks like it could be an interesting beginning for better terminal
support on Windows.  It would be better if you included it in unified
diff format in the issue tracker, though, along with the unit tests you
developed with it.  I don't know if anyone out there is interested enough
to finish it, but if it correctly provides even a basic level of
functionality, it might prove a useful starting place for some other
developer.  Comprehensive test coverage and developer-oriented documentation
improve the chances of someone else picking up where you've left off.

>The ConsoleWriter does not need to support asyncronous I/O, so it is a
>simple wrapper for ConsoleWrite.

Why?  Can't writing block?  What if you write a huge amount of data?  What
if the user clicks and holds on the terminal, or selects a menu or resizes
the window?  Won't those lead to a write blocking for an arbitrary amount
of time?

>This code still have some problems[1]...
>For now I have added this to _pollingfile module.
>
> [snip]
>

>[1]
>How can be tested such a thing?

Presumably by launching a process in a terminal and then communicating with
it in order to assert things about its behavior.

Jean-Paul