[Twisted-Python] Twisted & Qt

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Mon Sep 25 11:01:46 EDT 2006

I'm using the qtreactor in a GPL-but-unreleased PyQt 4.1 application of
my own, and have not found any problems whatsoever with the integration
of the Qt Twisted event loops.  It's really a pretty slick combination.

As an example and a contribution, I offer the following (GPL'd) module:
http://deadbeefbabe.org/paste/1996 (syntax-highlighted version),
http://foss.eepatents.com/misc/qt-twisted-dialog.py (source). It allows
you to construct a non-blocking modal dialog, immediately obtaining a
deferred to the user's eventual input.

As an aside, I would be interested in people's viewpoints about whether
the Qt reactor is suitable for Twisted's MIT-style license, given that
it doesn't actually import any Qt code itself. It leaves that step up to
the user with the installation of a reactor into the Qt application
object. As every Qt user probably knows, the Qt library itself is
dual-licensed under either the GPL or Trolltech's proprietary license.

Best regards, Ed