[Twisted-Python] callLater

Thomas HERVE therve at free.fr
Mon Sep 4 12:24:29 EDT 2006

Quoting Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it>:

> Hi.

Hi,

> I need to implement a function for scheduling function calls at specific
> times.
>
> [snip]
>
> However I'm going to have lots of this scheduled calls, many of these
> are far away in the future.
>
> Can this be a problem?

The real problem of this kind of solution is the lost of data if you
restart your application. If your 'far away in the future' is 6 months,
I won't expect my server to run 6 months (not for reliability reason,
but a change of configuration for example, or a new feature of my app).
So you have to store the scheduled calls somewhere.

For the use of callLater, like Jean-Paul said you should try and see if
it works for you. If you already store your calls somewhere it won't be
hard to make a simple scheduler with a tick function.

--
Thomas