[Twisted-Python] Unreliable UDP

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Oct 19 23:17:20 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Mike Wyatt <mwyatt at wi.rr.com> wrote:
>  I've been doing more research since my last message, and I found some
> pretty interesting results.
> Check out the posts from Simagery, hplus0603, and Ranger_One in this
> thread:
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=370603&whichpage=1&#2443682
> A good summary of that thread is this quote from Simagery: "...all of that
> above knowledge [UDP's superior flexibility] is based on the "state of the
> art" networking code circa 2000. Today, with wide availability of broadband,
> faster CPUs, higher quality NICs and better TCP/IP implementations, it all
> may be moot.".  I think that may have convinced me to stick with TCP.
> Here's another great thread:
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=262742.  I
> didn't read the whole thing, but it includes more discussion of UDP vs.
> TCP.  There is even someone who questions the accuracy of the X-Wing vs. TIE
> Fighter article.

I think the most important thing here isn't what the game industry says you
should do, but what your own stated requirements were. You specifically said
you wanted ordered, guaranteed-delivery data, and that's something that UDP
doesn't give you and that TCP does. If you had some good reason to *avoid*
either of those qualities, perhaps UDP would be appropriate, but since you
need that reliability, and TCP does exactly that, it is the clear winner.

Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery