[Twisted-Python] Unreliable UDP

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Oct 18 23:27:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:47:51 -0500, Mike Wyatt <mwyatt at wi.rr.com> wrote:
>Does Twisted provide any support for reliable UDP?  I'm looking for a nice
>networking library for and real-time (i.e. non-TCP) game development.

First, just use TCP, unless you have already implemented the game using TCP,
done performance testing and discovered problems tied to TCP which are resolved
by UDP.

Assuming you have done that, come up with a list of the kind of traffic your
game needs to exchange between hosts.  Based on that, you may be able to narrow
your search (there are lots of kinds of "reliable" UDP) or you may find that
existing solutions aren't suitable.

Twisted itself doesn't offer any kind of reliability layering on top of UDP,
but there are various Twisted-based projects which use UDP for semi-reliable
messaging.  Whether any of them might be of use to you depends on how closely
your message model matches theirs.

Most likely, you'll end up implementing something yourself, assuming you
actually need a UDP-based solution at all.

Jean-Paul