svn maintenance, trac permissions (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Sydney Sprint)

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon May 29 20:10:10 EDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:36:26 +1000, Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> wrote:
>On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:55:10AM +1000, Eric Mangold wrote:
>> I'm a little bit concerned about attendance for the June 3-4 Sydney
>> Sprint. The wiki page only lists two people:
>> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/SydneySprint
>>
>> Unfortunately that page requires a trac login with edit permissions to
>> change, so I'm afraid some people have been unable to add themselves to
>> the list.
>
>Yep, that includes me.

Hmm.  Can everyone who should have wiki edit permissions please complain so that someone who knows how to add those will add them?  I've created a ticket, #1761, that you can all comment on to request them.

>> Would everyone attending be kind enough to reply to this thread?
>
>I'll be there, and so will Mary.

If I could make a request for the focus of this sprint:

There are a *LOT* of dead or dying branches in /branches, and a lot of tickets which have been outstanding for a very long time.  I'd appreciate it if everyone would focus some effort on killing off old branches, and resolving old tickets.  In particular I'd like to get rid of all old user directories and branches which do not include ticket numbers in their names; tracking down the status of those branches is always a pain.

I've gone through most of these and removed the ones whose tickets had already been resolved or were clearly merged already, but there are still a lot left, and I am missing lots of information.

If some folks are going to do this, I'll try to participate remotely in the sprint so if there are some required judgement calls I can make them ASAP rather than just sticking more questions in the tracker and waiting.

Obviously it's more fun to work on new functionality than this kind of maintenance, so no worries if you have specific plans and won't be doing this.  Still, I'd like it if our users could look at /branches and see only a list of things that were actually being worked on presently, rather than a bunch of one-off ideas which may or may not be active, from five days to two years ago.  It would also be easier to try to coordinate and plan releases.

I will more urgently request that this sprint not leave any *new*, unreviewed branches hanging around.  Again, I'll try to be available to do reviews so we don't create even more stagnant branches / tickets.

How do those of you who will be attending feel about this?