Branch based development (Was Re: [Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r16287 - Revert r16241; tests are passing.)

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Thu Mar 30 07:20:12 EST 2006

On 3/15/06, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> Unless anyone can present a compelling case to the contrary, I think that as of now we should "officially" switch to the development procedures described by <http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/BranchBasedDevelopment>.

I doubt this is a compelling case, but here we go.

I find that strict branch-based development greatly decreases the
likelihood that I will fix more than one bug in a day. This means that
its likely that I'll max out at about one bug a week.

I presume that the way to fix many different bugs is to branch from
trunk, fix first bug then wait for review. While waiting, branch again
from trunk, fix second bug then wait for review and so on. If there is
a better way, let me know.

To do this requires a context switching that is difficult for me. I
find it unpleasant to work on code which has a bug in it that I've
already fixed. The bigger the changes, the more difficult it becomes.
I'm not opposing branch-based development. This is my sole problem
with it.

As a side point, if we have switched to strict branch-based
development, then we should document the procedure on the Twisted web
site, not on the Divmod web site.

jml