[Twisted-Python] Twisted on a USB stick?

Sebastian Hanlon sebastian.hanlon at uleth.ca
Sat Mar 25 20:59:56 EST 2006

Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>> If you can write the program, you can probably store it on a USB
>> stick. (what size are we talking? 16MB? 32MB? 64MB? 512MB? 1GB? 2GB?)
>
> What every size would be needed.  If I could install python, GTK,
> Twisted all on a USB stick, it would be easy to give my end users a
> working install without requiring and configuration on their part.

>From the sounds of it, you probably want something like py2app
(http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html, for Mac OS X deployment)
and/or py2exe (http://www.py2exe.org/). They do a good job of bundling
up Python programs with the Python runtime and any dependancies for
distribution.

I've used py2exe with Twisted and it works great--haven't tried it with
gtk, but it works with wxPython.

That is, assuming you're deploying on Win32 or Mac OSX. Bundling Python
for Linux, I got nothin'.

-sebastian