[Twisted-Python] on avoiding our policy: casual fixes branch

Jeff Grimmett grimmtooth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 01:03:16 EST 2006

On 3/23/06, Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if we don't allow  trivial changes to be committed straight to trunk,
> I don't really feel good about having a long-lived branch for trivial
> commits. The ticket would basically be meaningless, I think. Personally, I
> think what I'll do is let minor changes sit around in my working copy until
> I decide I want to commit them, at which point I'll make a ticket and branch
> for it, or just a ticket + patch. (Oh oh, Combinator should grow a feature
> to create a new ticket and send the current diff as an attachment. :)

Pitching in my 2c worth here; my company has a similar thing going on (large
projects, multiple contributors, often trivial changes and strict rules
against *any* change going directly to the trunk), and the solution that
we've gravitated to has been, more or less, one or more branches collecting
'trivial' changes along with the really big ones (enhancements, non-trivial
corrections, etc).

Pretty much the same problems, irritations, gripes, etc. But to date - and
this particular division has been around since '94 or so - no better
solution has been found. Loosening the reigns was an unmitigated disaster,
prompting a return to the stricter model you're discussing.

Better minds than mine have been trying to find a happy medium on this
matter and so far have not found anything better. Right now the only real
problem we have with it is that some of our darling engineers will sneak
'trivial' stuff into a critical corrective branch without disclosing the
fact, then causing the acceptance to be delayed while QA beats him over the
head after they pull a suprise code review on his ass.

I really don't think there's a solution here that will make everyone 100%
happy. Right now we're going through the "bitching and griping" phase that
always follows change, so it's too early to tell if everyone's going to
settle down, or if they whip out a new, improved V3.0 development process in
a few weeks. Even money right now :-)

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, there's nothing to worry about ... but please keep
your heads down." - The Muppet Show

Best,

    Jeff