[Twisted-Python] on avoiding our policy: casual fixes branch

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 13:37:05 EST 2006

On 3/23/06, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> Right now, there are no exceptions to the rule of "make sure there's a
> ticket before you check any code in to trunk".
>
> However, several people raised some concerns on IRC over the additional
> friction this adds for minor fixes (the change in question being spiv's doc
> correction of "the the").
>
> It's worth noting that if branching is difficult for you, it is also
> perfectly acceptable to attach a patch to a ticket.  The important thing is
> that a ticket exist first, so that merging and reviewing can be done
> independently of committing, not that a branch actually be created in SVN.
>
> For now, because defining "trivial" is so hard (what if your docstring fix
> has a typo which actually changes some code which breaks some tests?), and
> it is always too tempting to classify "just this one" branch as "trivial"
> because the author wants to merge it really fast and it's not _too_ long,
> the proposed solution is to have a shared "minor fixes" ticket and branch,
> which should be reviewed once a week or so, and merged en-masse.
>
> To be clear: there are still *no exceptions* to this rule.  However,
> please feel free to file a general-purpose ticket for minor fixes and work
> with as many other developers checking into the branch for that ticket.

Even if we don't allow  trivial changes to be committed straight to trunk, I
don't really feel good about having a long-lived branch for trivial commits.
The ticket would basically be meaningless, I think. Personally, I think what
I'll do is let minor changes sit around in my working copy until I decide I
want to commit them, at which point I'll make a ticket and branch for it, or
just a ticket + patch. (Oh oh, Combinator should grow a feature to create a
new ticket and send the current diff as an attachment. :)

--
Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery