[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.telnet or twisted.conch.telnet?

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 11:04:41 EST 2006

On 3/19/06, Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/18/06, James Schend <blakeyrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I run that example, I get the message that
> > twisted.protocols.telnet is deprecated and I should instead be using
> > twisted.conch.telnet.
>

> Is there something I'm missing here, or is Twisted telling me that I
> > should be using an unstable <1.0 library with no documentation that's
> > not even part of the core install instead of a 2.2 version library
> > with good documentation that *is* part of the core install?  Is this
> > deprecated warning in the wrong spot?  I don't get it.
>

> The telnet protocol implementation was simply moved to Conch. That
> particular code is no more or less stable and documented than it was in its
> old location. Also, if you're downloading tarballs, you should be getting
> the full Twisted tarball, not the individual core/subproject tarballs. Those
> individual ones are for embedders and OS packagers, basically. (The old web
> site didn't make this as clear, and the new one encourages you to download
> the full Twisted package).

I'm sorry, it appears I'm mistaken. I was thinking that the telnet protocol
implementation moved to twisted.conch in the Great Split of Two Point Oh,
but I see that this was something else. The implementation in conch is
definitely different (and probably better), but I don't think my comment
about the state of documentation and stability is any less true.

--
Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery