Branch based development (Was Re: [Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r16287 - Revert r16241; tests are passing.)

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Mar 14 11:47:26 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:31:19 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:

>Okay, after a couple hours of trying to track down the problem here, I
>noticed that you fixed this bug with the very next commit.  This has caused
>me to realize that I don't think use of branches for all development on
>Twisted should be optional.

I assume that you meant "should *not* be optional".

>Unless anyone can present a compelling case to the contrary, I think that as
>of now we should "officially" switch to the development procedures described
>by <http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/BranchBasedDevelopment>.

As the resident malevolent power here, I have performed the appropriate ritual to convert our policy.  We have officially switched.  Now, anyone who checks code into trunk without a branch or a review will be cursed, yea, unto the seventh generation!

Documentation to this effect on the website or in the repository should show up within the next few days.

There will be a few days while we make sure that everyone understands the ramifications of this new policy, but in the near future, code that is checked in without having its review documented on a ticket may be reverted immediately even if it does not cause any tests to fail.  There may be other consequences as well, such as loss of commit access.

It's also worth noting that if code fails the buildbot after review (or lacks adequate tests and thereby breaks critical existing functionality), it's the reviewer's fault, not the author's!  Therefore, it is suggested that you make heavy use of buildbot's "build this branch" feature before OKing a merge.