[Twisted-Python] FTP: A little help?

Jeff Grimmett grimmtooth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 23:36:04 EST 2006

For no good reason, I've been trying to implement a basic FTP server w/
Twisted 2.2. After a few puzzling exceptions, some custom code, TOSSING the
custom code, and more quality time with the source, I've come to the
conclusion that I need a nudge in the right direction.

Initially, it looks like it should be pretty straightforward (as much as it
ever gets in Twisted anyway :), but it's not working. Here's the code:

===============

from twisted.protocols.ftp  import FTPFactory
from twisted.protocols.ftp  import FTPRealm
from twisted.cred.portal    import Portal

print "Starting FTP server"

p = Portal(FTPRealm('./'))   # start up in local dir for giggles
f = FTPFactory(p)

from twisted.internet import reactor
reactor.listenTCP(21, f)
reactor.run()
print "FTP Server terminated."

===============

Simple. This raises no exceptions, and appears to be working until I
actually log in.

===============

ftp> open localhost
Connected to elric.
220 Twisted 2.2.0 FTP Server
User (elric:(none)): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, type your email address as password.
Password:
530 Sorry, Authentication failed.
Login failed.

The shell it's running from shows no errors or exceptions. So why did my
anonymous login fail?

(I'll wait until I solve that before I tackle the issue of actual "real"
users)

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, there's nothing to worry about ... but please keep
your heads down."

Best,

    Jeff