[Twisted-Python] Twisted Windows Suggestions

Timothy Fitz TimothyFitz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:15:49 EST 2006

Teratorn and I are stepping up to support twisted on windows, and the
first thing we need to figure out is a list of fixes and features, by
priority. Our top priority is definitely making a windows reactor pass
all of the tests, but beyond that there are numerous issues. My first
project is rewriting the installer using distutils, but there are
numerous other issues to solve, three off the top of my head:

1. Running tac/tap files on windows is unnatural. Sure it's easy
enough for a developer but it's not windows system administrator
friendly. There are many ways to solve this, and I haven't thought
about it long enough, but step 1 would just be associating tac and tap
files with running python.exe twistd on them.

2. Installing tac/taps as services, seamlessly, without writing your
own service code.

3. Buildbots running on windows 2000, windows 2003, soon Vista as
well. I'm not sure how much interest is here, but we'd either need
donated hardware or we'd have to run VMWare somewhere.

What other big issues stop or hinder your usage of Twisted?