[Twisted-Python] Twisted-friendly Message bus

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed Jun 28 10:56:53 EDT 2006

Phil Mayers wrote:
> I've run into "this service needs to know about this event from this
> other service" once too often. It's message bus time, baby.

I ran into similar problems at work where we had been using PB but found
that it did not perform to expectation (or requirement).

I've replaced the bulk of our PB communications with a STOMP[1] protocol
implementation to talk to with ActiveMQ[2] servers.  This has been great
and I can easily push over 10000 messages/second now.

And by switching over to ActiveMQ, we got a lot of other interesting
features (much like what Spread might provide I guess), like topics
(many to many communication rather than point to point), and their
reliability and persistence features.

I did have to write my own STOMP protocol implementation as the existing
one for Python is not up to snuff.  I may be able to release it back to
the ActiveMQ people, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

And sure .. it meant installing Java.  But it also meant having
something that worked well, performed beautifully, and gave me new
features that are letting me re-architect our software to greatly
simplify it and make it more reliable.

  - Bruce

[1] http://www.activemq.org/site/stomp.html
[2] http://www.activemq.org/site/home.html