[Twisted-Python] Need words of wisdom regarding PB

Paul G paul-lists at perforge.com
Wed Jun 28 07:50:52 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chaz." <eprparadocs at gmail.com>
To: "Twisted general discussion" <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 2:20 PM
Subject: [Twisted-Python] Need words of wisdom regarding PB

>I have a problem to solve: I need to get files from one machine to
> another. I had thought about all the obvious solutions (and implemented
> some of them); for instance adding an FTP server to my Twisted services
> and using a client. I thought about doing the file transfer with XML-RPC
> and even SOAP. And I even thought of WebDav.
>
> I started reading about PB and thought it might be useful. I thought
> about building a "remote" class that simulates open and all its
> functions, like read, write, close, etc.
>
> The more I thought about it the more I thought it cool and the way to do
> it. That got me thinking that I must be missing something. I am curious
> about what you might think of this approach. Is there another better way?

i implemented file transfer with an optional intermediate gzip stage using
pb a long while ago. if you're dealing with fairly low latency, a single pb
connection is fine; for higher latencies, you'll want to multiplex multiple
pb connections (this has to do with tcp, not pb). with my quick hack, i was
able to saturate a fast-e with virtually no significant cpu utilization -
the disk io and the network were the bottlenecks.

-p